Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Dan Talks About His Feeling Towards his Body Image

Dan Provides his input of Body Positivity/Image IG: Danielbushe


Age? 38

Stats? 5'9" 74kg

What age did you start having body image issues? Around 24 - Prior to that I was an elite swimmer. After quitting that, metabolism slowed down and by the time I noticed, I didn't really like what I saw.

Do you feel better about yourself now? It's up and down - I have moments of feeling pretty good, but there's always something that brings me down and it holds me back from being truly confident in my whole self

What caused you to ever have doubts about the way your body looked? I was in my previous relationship for a long time, from about the age of 22, but a few years in, the sex stopped almost completely despite my attempts to keep it going - he was looking elsewhere and that hit to my confidence stuck and I didn't feel I could get out of the hole, because if he didn't want me in that way, then who else would? My family has always commented on the slightest weight gain and I didn't really realize how much that impacts me as well.

Are you comfortable being nude in front of others? Ie lockerrom, bedroom, etc? For the most part, yes - having been a swimmer in my teens and early 20s and then a Water Polo player since then, I've not had issues in the locker room, but certainly didn't think anyone was paying attention. In the bedroom with my partner I feel pretty good, but would like to worry less about my problem areas (stomach, double chin) when I catch myself in the mirror mid action! I want to be more comfortable to be photographed myself as well.

What does body positivity mean to you? Being truly comfortable and confident in how I look in any situation, and celebrating everyone in the same way 

What is your favorite body part? Probably my legs, specifically my calf muscles. They make a statement!

What is your least favorite body part? My double chin


What do you love most about your body? I love what I can do with it - I'm naturally a good swimmer and it feels great to swim fast and move in the way I can in water.

What would you like to improve about your body? Slimmer in the waist - I don't like what I see when I'm sitting down, and certainly would love to lose the double chin

What is special about your body? That's a tough question to answer personally, I don't really think anything is all that special, other than my swimming abilities. 

What do you do to make yourself feel better about yourself? I work out a few times a week at the gym and swim / play water polo - I wouldn't necessarily say that that makes me feel better. I want to look for and pay more attention to things that make me feel good though, such as seeing a photo of myself that I like.


How often are you naked just because? Not all that often - my partner and I like to visit nude beaches occasionally, so that's about the only time. I feel self conscious at the beach though and want to feel more open and free when I am there!

How often do you check yourself out? Very rarely, when I look in the mirror, its only when I'm completely daily hygiene activities, never just to admire or look at my body.

What do you find attractive physically in a potential mate? Great skin. I prefer less hairy and slimmer guys. 

Have you always had positive thoughts about your body? No, I've had periods where I've struggled to find any positivity in how I look. But mostly these days I can find at least something I'm happy about.


What do you tell yourself when you aren’t feeling so positive about your body? That I don't do enough to make myself feel good and look good and that I'm not appealing. 

Has there been anyone in your life that you’ve modeled your body positivity after? Not until recently. I've decided I need to do a lot more to make myself feel positive about my body, and I'm looking at my partner for inspiration. He's so comfortable putting himself out there. and I believe he is so comfortable because he's gorgeous. I want to feel that comfort in myself and have that opinion of myself as well.

When do you feel most confident about how your body looks? When I'm clothed / covered and even then, only sometimes.


What’s your favorite outfit that makes you feel your hottest? Probably a suit - I do feel that I look good in one and love an excuse to get dressed up like a big meeting or a wedding. 

When is a time that you’ve felt the best about your body? About 10-11 years ago, after moving overseas, confidence was at an all time low. I was meeting new people and not feeling great about myself, so I embarked on a unhealthy period of workouts, crazy dieting and weight loss supplements - I know it wasn't great for me, but I did feel way more confident for a period. It wasn't sustainable though and didn't last. 

Who makes you feel the most sexy? Absolutely my partner Joey - no one has ever been so supportive and complimentary. I really struggle to believe the compliments sometimes though (he is 100% genuine, it's my lack of confidence and self belief that comes into play)


Is there a time of year that you feel most sexy? Not really a specific time. I try to work harder to feel and look good for summer, but I don't love that habit and really want to work on feeling sexy all year round.

What male celebrity do you think has the best body/body positivity? Sam Smith - see his Sydney Mardi Gras performance from this year - so incredible and inspiring, and he's having a fucking blast as well.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment